10 Questions with The Stately Hound
1. We all know you from your beautiful feature page “The Stately Hound” on Instagram, what inspired you to start your Instagram page ?
For us it’s always been about creating a community and Instagram has allowed us to do that. We’re fortunate enough to be able to connect with thousands of likeminded people on a daily basis.
2. Now you’ve opened a modern dog owners dream boutique ! What inspired this?
The Stately Hound started off as a blog back when there were only a handful that dedicated themselves to featuring modern dog accessories. We soon noticed that all of the brands we were falling in love with were either from the US or Australia, there weren’t any similar homegrown designers that we had a similar connection with. It was around this time that we had the idea to turn ‘The Stately Hound’ into a brand that focused on creating stylish accessories using materials from the UK.
3. Who is behind The Stately Hound?
The creative team consists of myself Jake, a talent agent and my partner Lee, a voiceover artist and playwright. We live by the sea in Whitstable, Kent.
4. We would love to hear all about your 4 legged family members!
We have 3 miniature dachshunds. Archie, Brewster and Casper. All equally adorable! If you follow us on Instagram, you may have seen them taking over our Stories.
5. Your bandanas are incredible! How are you having them made?
Lee is the creative one, he studied at Central St Martins. It’s his job to sign off on the fabrics and designs. We’re fortunate enough to have a great team of local seamstresses working with us.
6. What’s a typical day like for you?
Each morning I make the 2 hour commute to London, it gives me enough time to catchup on emails, order samples and plan upcoming collections. If you’re ever on the HS1 at 6:30am, keep a look out for the guy in glasses taking over a table and at least 3 seats – that’ll be me.
7. What’s been the biggest obstacle you’ve had to overcome to set up your new shop?
Manufacturing in the UK is hard work and expensive – especially if you want your materials to be British made. For centuries Britain had a thriving manufacturing industry, but sadly today only a handful of tanneries and hardware manufacturers remain. We’ve had to learn to compromise a lot on our designs. That’s said, we’ve been hugely lucky to meet some exceptionally talented individuals with a passion for creating British goods.
8. What would you say are the core values behind The Stately Hound?
Our ethos is to harness the power of good design and ethical practices. It’s our intention to supply goods that have a positive impact on the environment, along with the way we live in harmony with our four-legged friends.
9. Could share with us your favourite dog friendly locations in London?
Lee and I spent many years living on the Chiswick High Road, most of the coffee shops and bars are great for hanging out with the dogs. But nothing beats a walk around Chiswick House on a crisp autumn morning.
10. What’s in store for the Stately Hound store this coming year?
Over the coming months we’ll be introducing more desirable dog bandanas, a range of luxury leather collars & leads featuring powder coated hardware, a selection of natural dog washes, balms and sprays and many more exciting Stately products.
We love The Stately Hound & felt their interview really spoke for themselves!
Eva & Amelia ♥